Panzerkampfwagen II [Flamm] Ausf E in 1/35th...
...a July release from Bronco Models
Latest news from Bronco Models of a new CB35124 - German Panzerkampfwagen II (Flamm) Ausf.E (Sd.Kfz.122)
As their notes tell us -
The PzKpfw.II was a light reconnaissance tank built in several versions from 1934 to 1944. The PzKpfw.II Ausf D was a departure from the original design and was fitted with a new torsion bar suspension with four large road wheels. It was powered by a Maybach HL62TRM engine giving a road speed of 55 km/h. It was built by MAN from 1938 to 1939 in its original form. It saw action in the Poland Campaign of 1939, However it was not judged a success and the type was withdrawn from service in 1940. The hulls were used for the Pz.Kpfw.II Flammpanzer and fitted with a new smaller MG-34 machine gun turret. Its main armament were two remote control flame throwers mounted on the front track guards. These being supplied by a 320 litre fuel tank. The nitrogen propellant being housed in armoured bins along the sides of the hull. The armour was a maximum of 30mm and the combat weight was 12 tons. A total of 155 tanks were converted from January 1940 to March 1941 The Pz.Kpfw.II Flammpanzer, also called the Flamingo, was built in two models the Ausf A and Ausf B based on the PzKpfw.II Ausf D and Ausf E.respectively. The Ausf E had a different lubricated track. but only seven were converted.Flammpanzers saw action on the Russian front during Operation Barbarossa in 1941, but again their combat performance was very disappointing. Their armour was considered too thin for the assault role for which they were being used. They were withdrawn from combat in December 1941 and the hulls used for Marder II tank destroyer construction,
(Information & research by Phil Greenwood)
Thanks to Bronco Models for the news, and for the pictures of the box art and computer images.